Dear graduating students of the School of Architecture,

Congratulations to all of you from the faculty and staff in the School of Architecture! You have represented our community exceptionally well, and I am confident that you will continue to embody the values of “Ut Prosim” and serve as excellent ambassadors for your School, the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design, and Virginia Tech.

You all possess a unique ability to make a positive difference in the lives of people worldwide and in the communities where you will live and work. Your education has equipped you with unique methods of thinking, approaches to understanding problems, and opportunities for engagement through the distinct means of our discipline. You have already begun to advance the profession in new and exciting ways. Graduation marks a new beginning, and I hope you remember that, as creative individuals, you have practiced this with each new project and challenge. You are well-prepared to engage the many opportunities that lie ahead.

I would like to extend a special thanks to the parents, family, and friends of our graduates for their unwavering patience, understanding, and support through these challenging and transformative years. We recognize that your sacrifices have played an integral role in helping our graduates reach this momentous occasion, and we are grateful for the trust and encouragement you have provided them throughout their academic journey.

Teaching and learning is a reciprocal process, and I extend my heartfelt gratitude to you all for your courage and commitment to education. I hope that as you progress in your careers, you will keep the School of Architecture, as well as your former professors, advisors, staff members, and fellow Hokies, in mind. This is your home, and we hope you will remain connected to us as you embark on your journey.

Respectfully,

Jim Bassett
Director
School of Architecture